Currently running Quicken Premier 2013 and I've been curious, what are the honest major differences between the 2013 version and the 2014 version. Nothing cosmetic. Is there new content worth using? Or is it generally the same?
, Premier 2015 Win 7 ProSuperUser
I have used both. Here are some of the differences based on my usage:
- In Q2014 you can show reminders in the register (you can also choose to turn them off). Some consider this a problem but for me it works perfectly for the way I use Quicken. Previously I would post my reminders for the next month around the end of the previous month so that I could do some balance projections. With the new feature I show the next 30 days of reminders in my registers. When an actual entry happens I select the reminder and post it to match with the downloaded entry. The benefit here is that the 30 days is a rolling 30 days ( you can show more or less if you like)
- The One Step Update screen is more compact.
- There are a few minor updates to the Planning tab, including the ability to "edit yearly budget", show pennies in the budget amounts and show the parent category roll-up.
- There is now a "reset account" button that you can use when having difficulty downloading for a particular account. In Q2013 you would have to deactivate and reactivate it.
Those are most of the new features, at least those that impact me. I'm sure there are more. I think the mobile app may be better now but I don't use it so I can't confirm or deny it.
There are also a few issues with Q2014:
- Up until recent updates there were many crashes. I have not experienced this since around R4 but others say it is still happening.
- Somewhere around R4 or R5 a bug was introduced where the downloaded transactions section at the bottom of the registers shows every time you open a register.
- If you use Pop-up registers R6 introduced a bug where it is blank when you first open the register. Hitting the reset for the filters at the top of the register causes it to show the data. The workaround is to turn off Pop-up registers.
- Some people complain that customized reports from previous versions do not show any data and have to be recreated. I however have not experienced this issue.
- Some people also complain about One Step Update failing. I also have not experienced this issue.
- Some people have complained of data issues when converting from prior versions, although it seems that many of these are from Q2011 and prior. I converted from Q2013 and have not had any of these issues.
I'm sure there are many others but those are the main ones.
My Opinion, for what it is worth, is that I like Q2014, even with the stated issues. The new features, although not major ones have some added value for me. I might have a different opinion if I was having OSU problems or data conversion issues though. Keep in mind the 60 day return policy if you want to try it.
I don't have 2014 yet, but this is what I have been able to determine. 2013 has 12 Revisions. 2013 has only 6 revisions plus a Mondo patch.
Amazon rating for 2013 was 2 1/2 stars. Amazon rating for 2014 is 3 stars. The ratio of 1 star to 5 starts for 2013 was 3.7. The ratio of 1 star to 5 stars for 2014 is 1.68.
I think that your chances would be fairly good that you can get it to work. But I am waiting to hear back from my supplier.