bug reporting for Quicken 2011 and 2012I can't find a bug reporting tool anywhere, my attempt to submit these to customer support was worse than fruitless, as they want to fix me, rather than tell me that they will fix the product. I'm a long time quicken user with records as far back as 1992. I recently updated to Quicken 2012 expecting these bugs that were also in Quicken 2011 would have been fixed by now. I really want Quicken to continue to be a product I can use and trust, so here is another attempt to get bugs addressed.
Bug 1 is insidious. When using the invesment performance report and expecting to get an estimate of how my different investments compare over some time period. Any time period that includes a transfer of shares between accounts will get incorrect values. When I track it down I find that what has happened is that in the two columns ( Investment, and Return) the transfer of shares shows up with drastically different amounts. In fact it shows up as the market value of the transfer in the investment column but shows up as market value of a single share of the investement in the returns column. Deleting and recreating the transfer transaction doesn't help this, though I think there were some older transfers that before I recreated them showed up with number of shares times the market value of the investment in the investments column, and market value of the investment in the returns column. This seems like a simple multiplication error that can be fixed with very few hours of developer time, but it leaves me with a report that I can't use, because I can't trust it.
Bug 2 is fairly benign, but quite annoying. On an investment account using the holdings view you decide to input a price update for something that quicken doesn't track prices for. So you put the cursor over that price and enter the new one. Once you hit enter you have unwittingingly created a zero price entry on the investment item below the one you were updating. Hitting Esc won't even bring back the price that was on that other stock. Only by either updating the price to a known correct value, or going to the price history editor and deleting the bogus zero price can you fix the corrupted entry. If you know you're looking for these you can not hit enter or tab after entering the original price update and mouse off of it instead, but this is a very non-intuitive interface and I still occasionally wipe out prices that weren't the one I was actually updating.
Bug 3 is another report bug. If I choose to look at my spending report with itemized categories. I'm often only interested in actual spending. I customize the report to not include my investment accounts since I want to see those transfers. I set the advanced report option to "exclude internal" transfers, so that transfers between credit cards and checking or between other non-investment accounts aren't part of my "spending." Inspite of this, my payments from my checking to my credit card accounts still show in the report. I verified that the checking account and the credit card accounts in question are in the list of accounts to include in the report, so those should be "internal" transfers and not being listed. Again a report that isn't doing what it says it is doing and leaves me unable to trust a report summary without going through it line by line looking for goofs like this.